The Samsung Galaxy S3 happens to be a great handset but it is now getting on in years. It does have an older version of Android installed and it will not get the update to Marshmallow. Luckily developers love the handset and they are offering an update for it. It may not be Marshmallow but it doesn’t matter as Android 5.0 Lollipop is just as sweet.
If you want to update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop you can but first you should make a backup of your device. You should also check to make sure that root access has been enabled and custom recovery is installed.
Once you have done the above you can then put Android 5.0 Lollipop onto your Samsung Galaxy S3 and you can follow the guide below to install it.
– Download the custom ROM file for Android 5.0 Lollipop, one for your phone and one for your desktop.
– Get the arter 97 kernel as well and unzip it.
– Plug in your S3 to your PC via USB cable.
– Remember the Nandroid backup file. Put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
– Disconnect your S3 from the PC and turn it off.
– Go into recovery mode on for your phone.
– Then select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
– Select Backup and Restore option, then choose to restore backup so that the Android 5.0 Lollipop gets installed.
– Flash the arter 97 kernel by selecting “install zip from SD card” and proceed to “choose zip from SD card”.
If you have done the above correctly you should now have Android 5.0 Lollipop installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3.