The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a device that has sold well but it is now being classed as an old handset and this means that it isn’t going to be getting updates. So is will not be given the update to Marshmallow and this means that at the moment it is left on Android 4.4 KitKat. Owners should not worry though as thanks to developers the device can be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop and this is just as sweet as Marshmallow.
The first thing you need to do before updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop is to back-up your device with Nandroid. You also need to check that you have installed custom recovery and you have also enabled root access.
When you have done this you can then update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop by following the guide you can find below.
– Download the custom ROM file for Android 5.0 Lollipop, one for your phone and one for your desktop.
– Get the arter 97 kernel as well and unzip it.
– Plug in your S3 to your PC via USB cable.
– Remember the Nandroid backup file. Put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
– Disconnect your S3 from the PC and turn it off.
– Go into recovery mode on for your phone.
– Then select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
– Select Backup and Restore option, then choose to restore backup so that the Android 5.0 Lollipop gets installed.
– Flash the arter 97 kernel by selecting “install zip from SD card” and proceed to “choose zip from SD card”.
If all has gone well and you checked the guide above and followed it you will have Android 5.0 Lollipop installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3.