The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a superb device but the sad truth is that it is classed as being an old handset. The S3 has an older version of Android on it and it isn’t going to get updated to Marshmallow. There is some good news though and this is that the handset is loved by developers and they are going to offer up Android 5.0 Lollipop.
If you own the Samsung Galaxy S3 and you want to go ahead and update the handset to Android 5.0 Lollipop you should make a back-up of your device and check to make sure that you have root access enabled along with custom recovery.
When you have taken the above into account you may then go ahead and follow the guide to put Android 5.0 Lollipop onto your Samsung Galaxy S3.
– Download the custom ROM file for Android 5.0 Lollipop, one for your phone and one for your desktop.
– Get the arter 97 kernel as well and unzip it.
– Plug in your S3 to your PC via USB cable.
– Remember the Nandroid backup file. Put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
– Disconnect your S3 from the PC and turn it off.
– Go into recovery mode on for your phone.
– Then select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
– Select Backup and Restore option, then choose to restore backup so that the Android 5.0 Lollipop gets installed.
– Flash the arter 97 kernel by selecting “install zip from SD card” and proceed to “choose zip from SD card”.
Providing you followed the steps above you should now have Android 5.0 Lollipop installed and be able to enjoy an updated Samsung Galaxy S3.