The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a handset that has been on the market for a while now, this means that sadly it isn’t going to be getting updates in the future. The handset has Android 4.4 KitKat and this isn’t going to be getting updated to Marshmallow but it can get Android 5.0 Lollipop and this still has sweetness.
Before you go rushing to install Android 5.0 Lollipop onto your Samsung Galaxy S3 you do need to take certain things into consideration.
One thing you need to do is backup your Samsung Galaxy S3 with Nandroid. Another is to ensure that root access has been enabled and custom recovery has been installed.
Once you have done the above you can then go ahead and make the update to Android 5.0 Lollipop for your Samsung Galaxy S3. To do this you can follow the guide below.
– Download the custom ROM file for Android 5.0 Lollipop, one for your phone and one for your desktop.
– Get the arter 97 kernel as well and unzip it.
– Plug in your S3 to your PC via USB cable.
– Remember the Nandroid backup file. Put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
– Disconnect your S3 from the PC and turn it off.
– Go into recovery mode on for your phone.
– Then select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
– Select Backup and Restore option, then choose to restore backup so that the Android 5.0 Lollipop gets installed.
– Flash the arter 97 kernel by selecting “install zip from SD card” and proceed to “choose zip from SD card”.
If you have followed the above steps you should now have Android 5.0 Lollipop installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3.