The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a superb piece of technology but as it is now showing its age it has stopped being updated. It has Android 4.4 KitKat and this means that Samsung are not updating it to Marshmallow. Owners of the handset don’t have to worry though as which they are not getting Marshmallow they can get Android 5.0 Lollipop and this is very sweet.
If you do want to update the Samsung Galaxy S3 you can back up the device and you can use Nandroid to do this. You should also have root access enabled along with custom recovery. You can then follow the steps that are listed below to go ahead and update your device to Android 5.0.
– Download the custom ROM file for Android 5.0 Lollipop, one for your phone and one for your desktop.
– Get the arter 97 kernel as well and unzip it.
– Plug in your S3 to your PC via USB cable.
– Remember the Nandroid backup file. Put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
– Disconnect your S3 from the PC and turn it off.
– Go into recovery mode on for your phone.
– Then select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
– Select Backup and Restore option, then choose to restore backup so that the Android 5.0 Lollipop gets installed.
– Flash the arter 97 kernel by selecting “install zip from SD card” and proceed to “choose zip from SD card”.
Providing you have followed the steps outlined below you should now have the Samsung Galaxy S3 running on Android 5.0 Lollipop.