The Samsung Galaxy S3 has been on the market for some time now and Samsung have stopped giving it updates. The device is on Android 4.4 KitKat and owners should not expect Marshmallow. However they shouldn’t worry too much as there is an update to Android 5.0 Lollipop and this remains as sweet as ever.
There are some things that you should take into account before you update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
One thing that you should do is to make a backup of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and you can use Nandroid to do this. You also need to have custom recovery installed and you should enable root access.
When you have done the above you can then update the Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop by checking out the guide below.
– Download the custom ROM file for Android 5.0 Lollipop, one for your phone and one for your desktop.
– Get the arter 97 kernel as well and unzip it.
– Plug in your S3 to your PC via USB cable.
– Remember the Nandroid backup file. Put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
– Disconnect your S3 from the PC and turn it off.
– Go into recovery mode on for your phone.
– Then select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
– Select Backup and Restore option, then choose to restore backup so that the Android 5.0 Lollipop gets installed.
– Flash the arter 97 kernel by selecting “install zip from SD card” and proceed to “choose zip from SD card”.
Providing you have followed the steps above you should now have the Samsung Galaxy S3 running on Android 5.0 Lollipop.