News

Is The Microsoft Lumia 950 Just Another Poor Windows 10 Device

By  |

It is looking as though Microsoft are putting a lot on the Microsoft Lumia 950 as this is the device they are hoping is going to persuade people to give up their iOS and Android devices.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 comes with a display of 5.2 inches with resolution of 1440 x 2560. It has the power of the Snapdragon 808 processor behind it and it comes with 32GB of storage along with support for SD card and 3GB of RAM.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 has a lot for you to like about it but there are some drawbacks to it too. The biggest drawback is the fact that it runs on Windows 10 and this means it is lacking for apps.

But what do you think, would you give up your iOS or Android device and move to the Microsoft Lumia 950?

Always looking for something new to learn, Mario looks at the internet as one big startup. With him at the helm, Autoomobile.com continues to head in the right direction of providing high quality and unbiased information on the latest new car models and electronics.

6 Comments

1. Bobby

March 13, 2016 at 8:01 am

You’re wrong. The Lumia 950 and 950XL are phones to appease the Windows Phone fans. They are not to attract new customers simply because Windows 10 Mobile simply isn’t released yet. Everything you see on phones are preview builds and not general release builds. The phones are meant for the fans, which is why you see no advertising. Microsoft themselves have stated this multiple times. Therefore your article is completely wrong.

2. Bruce

March 13, 2016 at 10:13 am

Ready to purchase the 950 if MS would make it available to T-mobile

3. JDG

March 13, 2016 at 10:30 am

Good grief, get over the “lack of apps,” how many apps do you need? The main apps, 95% of what everyone uses are available on the phone, and frankly, it works well. I have used Android phones and iPhones, and the only phone that does everything I need and want is Windows, flat out.

Android is so fragmented, and the fact that no one ever mentions is that in spite of having more apps, not all apps run on all distributions, which is compounded by the fact that manufacturers pretty much don’t bother to keep their devices up to date with the latest flavor of Android. Have an older phone, unless you have some technical savy, you’re stuck with whatever version of Android came on the phone, complete with its limitations.

I can’t tell you how many times I tried to install an app only to be told it’s not supported by my device, so that argument dies.

Both Windows and Apple update their software and if you have a phone, you will get updated. Period. I’ve never had an app not install or work. The hardware is good, and unlike Apple, it’s not overpriced.

4. Woz

March 13, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I switched to a Lumia 950 in December from the Android ecosystem, which I have used for many years. For me I had got sick of the poor security issue and the fact that unless you had a Nexes you could forget patches. You might get lucky and get a patch after 6+ months but most of the time forget it.

There have been some issues with Win 10 and it is still not as polished as it could be but on the whole I find it far far better than Android. The app issue is not that bad, yes there might be many many less apps but how many on the other app stores are just a POS you would never download anyway. All the key ones I need are supported either directly or via 3rd parties.

I am hoping the Universal app strategy also changes things and the Surface Phone (When it is released) begin to change things but on the whole I do not regret the move in the slightest.

5. Bruce

March 13, 2016 at 5:42 pm

I take it that you are with AT&T?

6. Steve E.

March 14, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Whenever I see people reviewing any flagship phone… its always about hardware specs.

It is really pointless to get into a “spec war” between the 950XL and other flagships, because in reality how much more different do you expect a Windows Phone to perform on a SD 810 than a SD 808 or a SD820, I mean seriously. The reason why we are so involved into looking at specs is the same reason why cats go nuts when they see a laser shining on carpet floor. It is engraved in our culture. “A octocore with 4GB is better than a hexacore with 3GB of RAM”. But in reality if anyone really stops to analyze the real world difference between similar flagship ships, its laughable. Now there is a huge difference between a desktop variant x86 such as an i7 and a snapdragon, but you can only do so much with a form factor the size of a phone, so therefore arguing specs is completely useless for the most part.

If people are complaining the 950/XL sucks because of its bland back cover… I AGREE it is bland, but MOZO makes amazing back covers for it to alleviate it.

If people are complaining the 950/XL sucks because of Windows 10 app support, while it may be a valid point, I still feel it is a moot point because everyone is already aware of this in the mobile community.

If people are complaining the 950/XL sucks because of specs in comparsion to XYZ Android Flagship, they are stupid. The 950 is spec’d out nicely and deserves the title of flagship:

1. Biometric Unlock
    2. SD expansion
    3. 4G LTE Advanced
    4. 2K display
    5. Continuum
    6. Hey Cortana
    7. Ample RAM
    8. Ample processor

I’m not going to get into a spec war with someone who says the 950 sucks because it has an outdated 810 processor. Who gives a shit, the 820 is not much noticeably faster.