…because now you can. Via unofficial means, that is, and it’s all courtesy of a new leaked code that has been released as of late.
You’ll want to know how it works because if you were to switch to another carrier (but your phone’s still unlocked), you won’t be able to do so. But with the new leak, unlocking your phone would be a breeze.
(Disclaimer: Only works for Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 2, S4 or S3)
1. Insert a new SIM card into your Galaxy Note 3, 2, S4 or S3.
2. Turn off your device before turning it back on again.
3. Head over to the keypad and enter in *#197328640#.
4. Choose  UMTS >  Debug Screen >  Phone Control >  Network Lock > Options  Perso SHA256 OFF.
5. Wait for about 30 seconds before heading back into the main menu by choosing “back”.
6. You’ll see “Network Lock” in your main menu, so choose  NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ
And you should now be able to enjoy using your unlocked phone, free of charge. You’re very welcome.