News

Google Nexus 6P Complaints Just Keep On Coming

By  |

The Google Nexus 6P happens to be a handset that people love and it has done very well since it arrived on the market. There is a great deal going for the handset but then it does also come with some downsides.

Some owners of the Google Nexus 6P have reported that they are having issues with the handset. One issue is that the device often goes into landscape mode and then the device needs restarting for it to go back into the portrait mode.

This isn’t the only issue that has been reported with the Google Nexus 6P. Owners have said that the device can lock up when the person is taking a call. We have also seen issues with sensors that are on the touchscreen display, which led some people to return their handset due to it being an issue with the hardware.

Do own the Google Nexus 6P and have you been having issues with the device?

20 Comments

1. joel

March 30, 2016 at 5:31 am

I do have one, The only complaint I have is the camera, some times not acting properly. It has locked up and needed a restart and it has crashed while taking pictures. Mostly a great phone. This is where Google gets it wrong changing the maker every year, you can’t fix the problems with the next edition if it is a new company. ITS WAY BETTER THAN THE IPHONE I LEFT BEHIND… The one that died after an OS update.

2. Daniel

March 30, 2016 at 5:55 am

Sometimes my 6P will restart randomly. It happens about once every 3 weeks.

3. John

March 30, 2016 at 6:37 am

I installed a program that monitors programs running and tempatures due to excessive heat. Even so, this phone at times gets close to 150 degrees. Heat equals decreased life expectancy of the $650/phone. This is unacceptable. I love the phone and Google Fi but wonder if I will regret making the switch to this phone.

4. Bjr

March 30, 2016 at 8:34 am

Video apps like YouTube tend to lock it in landscape however there is a trivial workaround, goto Quick Settings and put it into portrait and the put it back to auto rotate. No reboot is needed.

Aside from that minor nit there are no real problems.

5. Paul Russo

March 30, 2016 at 8:44 am

I like the phone but do have issues. Sometimes it will not ring. Not fixed by normal settings. Also, the Bluetooth works well with new devices but has issues connecting to the radio in my 2013 truck to stream music. My old phone worked well in my truck as does my iPod. My guess is incompatibility with the Bluetooth version in the truck?

6. Steve McCuen

March 30, 2016 at 9:28 am

I’m mostly happy with my 6p, but there is a problem with the microphone during calls. It sounds fine on my side, but my voice is very muffled for the people I call.
    It’s not so bad that they can’t understand me, but it is very noticeable.

7. Allan

March 30, 2016 at 9:56 am

I haven’t had any problems with mine, beyond the odd software issues that were the fault of the app, not the device itself. Dunno.

8. Mike Culbertson

March 30, 2016 at 10:39 am

Nope. I’ve been using my 6P since November, 2015.

9. Akme

March 30, 2016 at 11:18 am

The only problem I have is notifications. I wish there were repeat notifications…the led light does little for me especially when I’m outside. A setting to have have notifications repeat every 1, 5, 10 minutes would be awesome.

10. Nexus

March 30, 2016 at 11:33 am

Issues I have is that the battery life is terrible for the size of its battery, and the auto brightness doesn’t work so great.

11. larry

March 30, 2016 at 11:39 am

the google nexus 6P will not work in Brazil as advertised. it is supposed to link with one of the 5 local carriers and does not do it. i wonder if it will work with a local chip instead of the google chip

12. Jay Mumper

March 30, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Personally, I’ve had one or two occasions when Bluetooth stopped and I had to reboot the phone. Other than that I have none of the “common” (stats please!) issues. Previously I had a Motorola phone and while I liked it, the Nexus 6P beats it in every category I can think of. Given that I’d have paid another $300-$400 for a competitively-featured Samsung phone (S7 or S7 Edge), I’ll trade the timely updates, battery performance and vanilla Android experience hands down.

13. Ryan Weber

March 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

The Nexus line is designed for early adopters. It gets updates first and has all the new features at half the price of a comparable Samsung phone with an outdated OS. People shouldn’t expect it to be perfect.

14. Erik

March 30, 2016 at 4:58 pm

My 6p has been my best smartphone experience thus far… But the last update ruined the Bluetooth connection between phone and truck. Now, 50% of the time, I have to manually choose my truck connection from the Bluetooth drop down in order to establish a connection.

15. john thomas

March 30, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I have the 6 … Not 6P. But I have had the sticky landscape issue. Sometimes it won’t slip back to portrait until I hit the power button to blank the screen.

16. Richard

March 30, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Been using the device for about 4 months now, loving every moment of it. Like every Android device I own, the first thing I did was install Cyanogenmod on it. At first, battery life and performance were very poor, but functionally the phone worked great.
    As time goes on, things keep getting better and better. I always run nightly builds, however I monitor the changes to the device on cmxlog and only update when there are very few changes for several days. This usually indicates there are minimal problems with the recent build.

As it stands right now, day to day use I get about a day and a half to two days out of the battery and performance is very smooth.
    On weeks where I’m not particularly social, and only use my device for daily tasks for work and productivity, I can get up to 3 days on a single charge.

Everything functions perfectly.

17. Jason

March 30, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I’ve been using my 6P daily for several months, since the phone first came out in the US, and have not experienced any of these issues.

18. Lori Smith

March 30, 2016 at 11:59 pm

I am a Verizon customer, and every time I receive a voicemail, I see a garbled text message. It’s absolutely maddening! Neither Verizon nor Google can tell me why or recommend a solution. There is no reason why a new phone should not be able to get visual voicemail right when a major cellular carrier is involved. It is also so irritating to have to submit a form each time to request Google help. Why can’t we just call a toll free number? I really wish there was a local office where I could go for assistance. Only having online support can be extremely frustrating.

19. Harry

March 31, 2016 at 2:42 am

Camera app getting crash n display brightness not working properly.

20. Jay Mumper

March 31, 2016 at 4:48 am

Irony. So almost immediately after I sent my comment to this story lauding my great experience with my Nexus 6P, my “reliable” 6P decided it no longer could connect to the cellular network. WiFi works fine. Bluetooth stopped, but restored after a restart. But still no cellular network.

I contacted Google Support and they went through the same diagnostic steps I had already tried (restarts, start in SAFE mode, remove and replace the SIM card, etc.) to no avail.

So I now have a warranty replacement phone on the way from Google.