Android 4.4 Kitkat Update: Is Your Phone On The Upgrade List?
It has been said that many Samsung handsets will not get updated past Jelly Bean 4.2.2. Two of these handsets include the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the original version of the Samsung Galaxy Note. Android 4.4 KitKat is making its way out in October and it will arrive with an update to the Linux Kernel that supports handsets that have low memory. There are people waiting to hear if their handset will get an update to KitKat, so will it?
SamMobile back in March posted a list and this gave details about handsets that should be getting an update to Jelly Bean 4.2.2. It also told us about handsets that would get Android 5. One insider who was from Samsung did say that both the Samsung Galaxy Note 1 and the S2 would get an update to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and it would stop there.
Both of the handsets were upgradeable to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, they originally came with ICS Android 2.3. Samsung have said that five handsets would be updated to Key Lime Pie.
However Google have launched KitKat 4.4 and not Key Lime Pie, it was said that this was a reference to KitKat internally. Android Central also heard about work being made to the Linux Kernel. The Linux kernel 3.8 was said to offer amazing things. They said it came with full support on the NVIDIA Tegra along with the Samsung Exynos DRM drivers, lower memory footprint and flash friendly file system support. All of this is needed to support more handsets.
The Galaxy handsets on the list are said to be getting the update to KitKat 4.4 are:
1. Galaxy Grand and Grand DUOS
2. Galaxy Ace II
3. Galaxy S III mini
4. Galaxy Beam
5. Galaxy Express
6. Galaxy S Advance
7. Galaxy S II and S II Plus
8. Galaxy Premier
9. Galaxy Note I
10. Galaxy Young and Young DUOS
11. Galaxy Fame
12. Galaxy X Cover 2
13. Selected Galaxy Tabs
Some Galaxy devices are meant to get Android 4.4 KitKat straight away:
1. Galaxy Note III
2. Galaxy S IV and other variants
3. Galaxy Note 8.0 and other variants
4. Upcoming Galaxy Note 10.1 and 12.2
5. Galaxy S IV mini
Android 4.4 KitKat Features on Samsung Galaxy devices:
– Better processor support on Exynos chipset
– Wider network coverage and better compatibility
– Enhances screen orientation responsiveness
– Additional cloud storage with Android’s exclusive Cloud system
– More Samsung accessories compatible
– Speeds up the RAM and overall performance
– More battery juice on your device