News

2017 Honda Ridgeline: Too Expensive To Matter

By  |

The 2017 Honda Ridgeline offers up a comfortable ride and it is an excellent utility vehicle. However what is killing off the vehicle is the steep price tag.

The 2017 Honda Ridgeline has the global light truck platform and it shares a great deal of the structure of the Honda Pilot. However it is a superb choice for towing and hauling. You could say that it is a Pilot with a bed and not the cargo area that is covered.

It comes with the V6 3.5 litre engine offering 280 horses and 262 of torque by way of a six speed automatic transmission and it comes in all-wheel drive or front-wheel drive.

While it does have a lot in its favour what is off-putting to consumers is that it comes in with a price tag of $41, 370 and this is the base price. People have said that they would be interested in purchasing the 2017 Honda Ridgeline if it came with a price tag in the region of $18,000, but for just a little over $43k they could get themselves an F150 Lariat.

Some consumers have also pointed out that the dealerships only stock the upper levels of the Honda Ridgeline and these come with even higher price tags. People have also pointed out that you can get a Chevrolet Colorado that comes with similar specs to the Ridgeline for $5k less.

But what do you think about the price tag of the 2017 Honda Ridgeline? Is it worth $41k?

Always looking for something new to learn, Mario looks at the internet as one big startup. With him at the helm, Autoomobile.com continues to head in the right direction of providing high quality and unbiased information on the latest new car models and electronics.

14 Comments

1. CHUCKWILSON

November 8, 2016 at 7:22 am

THATS THE PRICE FOR THE RTL-L, NOT THE BASE, BASE IS AROUND 31K, TOP PRICE IS 43,250 APPROX OR THE BLACK EDITION IS 43,470 I KNOW THIS AS I BOUGHT THE RTL-E AND I LOVE IT

2. Kaleb

November 8, 2016 at 8:31 am

I’m not sure what brochure or currency you’re looking at but $41,370 will get you the RTL-E, the highest trim short of the Black Edition. The base model RT will run you $29,475. I won’t comment on the quality of rest of the article (though “People have said” doesn’t seem terribly credible) but I wanted to point out this error.

3. Ralph DiMare

November 8, 2016 at 8:42 am

I really like my 2017 Ridgeline. My last trucks were Ford Ranger and 2011 Ridgeline.
    If I wanted a Ford 150 Lariat, I would have bought it. The Ridgeline provides everything the non-work, non-off roader truck needs and it holds resale value very well. The 5K difference between Chevy Colorado and Ridgeline is well worth it.
    I’m getting 24 mpg combo city/hwy. Try that with an F150.

4. Larry

November 8, 2016 at 9:59 am

I drove it and really liked it. But you are exactly correct. I can get a Ram 1500 Laramie diesel that gets 29 miles per gallon for less. I would buy the Ridgeline if it were in the 30s.

5. Lee Rockville

November 8, 2016 at 10:45 am

“…with a price tag of $41,370 and this is the base price. ”
    This is not accurate. Kelley Blue Book in their May 2016 review “Pricing for the base 2WD RT starts at $30,375, and the AWD Black Edition starts at $43,770. ” Edmunds says the MSRP is from $29,475 (which Cars Direct also lists.

6. Robin

November 8, 2016 at 10:53 am

Considering that as soon as you drive it off the lot; the Ridgeline will be worth $5000 more than a Colorado…I’ll take the smoother ride, more functional bed, and the better reliability of a Honda.

7. Mike

November 8, 2016 at 11:08 am

If I needed a Honda with the capabilities of the Ridgeline, I would buy a Pilot instead. Why? I can get adaptive cruise control for ~$10k less on the Pilot than the Ridgeline. That’s really the only option I want in addition to the standard features. I can but a real nice trailer with the left over $10k.

8. Dan E

November 8, 2016 at 11:32 am

Could you provide documented evidence of buyers complaining about the high price? Thank you.

9. Steve

November 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm

certainly I’d be interested at $18000 – who would not?

But I paid $47000, and for a comparably equiped F150 would have paid over $60000…

Is it expensive? Sure. Is it worth it? For me, yep.

10. Geoff

November 8, 2016 at 12:38 pm

All of the things that were standard on the old RTL are very expensive options on the new. The truck is excellent but has the stench of the MBA all over it. Everything is an upgrade. There are no incentives on it whatsoever. I had saved for several years to buy one, but still cannot. Dodge, Chevy, and Ford, even Toyota are making fantastic offers, but I want the Ridgeline. I will have to wait another year and buy a used 2017, or, hopefully VW will sell the Amarok here.

11. Brent Bolen

November 8, 2016 at 1:24 pm

$41,000, no thanks. An F-150 or maybe even an F-250 can be had for that much money. I’ll be staying away from any GM’s though.

12. Craig Patterson

November 8, 2016 at 2:28 pm

It’s not $41,000. I paid a couple thousand less than that and it has everything except AWD.

13. James V Lyon Jr

November 8, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Simply, yes! Drive it. Ride in it. The only reason to get something else us “Do I need to tow more than 5000 lbs?

14. Revets

November 9, 2016 at 3:34 am

The base price is 32k, the top of the line black and red is the 41k price quoted in this article. SAD research makes for a juicy gossip like headline